I’ll be the first in my family to admit we don’t watch a lot of television and even less prime time shows. We got out of the habit a few years ago when we cut off cable and relied solely on Netflix or Redbox for our entertainment. About two years ago we signed up for Direct T.V. again but even after that our television habits aren’t like most. We don’t keep up with all the latest ‘it’ shows. When we do watch sit down to watch paid for programming we end up on the History, Discovery, National Geographic or the DIY/HGTV channels. I love me some Flip or Flop.
Mike and I do however have a handful of shows between the us that we have to stay caught up on. Monday nights normally have us watching The Following and may the poor soul who interrupts us find mercy when we are done with them. Then Sunday nights there is Game of Thrones, this is probably one of our top favorites and the whole reason we have HBO.
I’d thought it would be fun to share with you all our top ten shows and a little bit about why we love them so much and whose favorite they are.
- Game of Thrones *both* What’s not to love about this show! It’s full of drama, intrigue, who never know who’s going to die (well you do if you’ve read the books which are even better)
- Supernatural *both* Again how can you not love this show. I mean Dean and Sam are kick arse hunters with a coo-coo angle as a side kick. We love the dynamics of this show and how it started off, 10 seasons ago, as totally different from anything we’d seen.
- The Following *both* This is a great crime show, we normally don’t go for crime but the action and suspense created by the writers is amazing. The struggle between Ryan and Carroll is intense.
- Lost Girl *both* This is one of those just for fun shows. We were watching pretty regularly but got caught up in Supernatural so this one is on the back burner. The show is fun though with all the fae and the supporting roles are filled with great actors. The comedy aspect of the show makes for a great laugh amiss the trails of the shows heroine Bo.
- Revolution *me* Mike refuses to even try this show. *eye roll* There have been a lot of shows about the end of the world but this one takes the cake. I love the way they set up the Unties States after the huge outage and some of the more relastic ways things play out, like no more guns so they all use swords and things are almost pre-civil war era. The tech side of the show that starts in half was an great play. I can’t wait for season 3!
- American Pickers *Mike* While I like the show this is one of Mike’s favorites. He can watch hours of reruns and never get bored. I think it’s the fun of the hunt for him.
- American Horror Story *both* We are huge horror buffs and this show is just amazing. One of the most unique things is each season is a different story line that’s wrapped up in the 20 some odd shows. Each season ends up feeling like a small mini movie series. I also love that they reuse actors in different rolls. It’s been very interesting to see the same actors play such different rolls each season.
- Doctor Who *me* If you have been around here a while this show should come as no surprise to you. I’ve been an avid Whovian for years now. The time travel, the good guy fighting the good fight without going in guns blazing, the loner whos very very old and the very last of his kind…it’s all amazing.
- Pawn Stars *Mike* While Mike knows most of the show is staged he loves watching the history of the more odd ball items that come into Rick’s shop. I have to admit some of the stuff they show is pretty cool and watching ‘The Old Man’ and Chumley interact is always fu n.
- American Restoration *Mike* This is another Mike show, I like it but it’s not the top of my personal list. Again it’s the history of the pieces for Mike and watching something old and rusty become shiny and new. He’s always loved antiques and I think deep down he’d love to restore some items if we had the time and money.
How about your family? Do y’all have favorite television shows that you just have to watch? What’s your favorite? What’s your spouses favorite? Do y’all watch shows together or just don’t get the others choices at all? Inquiring minds (mainly me being nosey) want to know.